23 June 2011

Summer Reading Club for grownups - is this really a good idea??

We went through a lot to get to summer, and now that we're here, I've got a boatload of things on the agenda.

Taking advantage of Kids Bowl Free and the free movies at Clearview Cinemas.

Getting the kids to daytime karate classes. And to Crescent Cove for fun swim, and Hackettstown for swim lessons.

Maintaining the pumpkin patch and our new (huge!) container garden (can I call it a Victory garden?) so that we can enjoy it all summer.

Cleaning out our entire house, top-to-bottom, in an effort to get it where we need it to sell next year.

...and so much more. But I'm pretty sure staying up four hours past bedtime because the siren call of a Summer Book Club - for *grown ups* - made me check out three Orson Scott Card books I haven't yet read was not part of the program. But there is no putting down a good book once I get started.

So three days into the summer reading program, and three Card novels later...oy. This Mama needs some sleep!

Books down..so far..Homebody ('ok'), Treasure Box ('very good') and the last one I read, whose name I forgot, which was written with a co-author and had to do with Healers and DNA-coded viruses and such. Which was also very good, but not as good as Treasure box. Tried to get another book out of the library yesterday, this time looking for unread Ursula LeGuin, and ended up in the kids' department. Which was just as well, since that's where my kids were looking for their own book treasures :)

No comments: